The six finalists (in no particular order) are:
- The Burgate School Library, Fordingbridge, Hampshire
- Nansloe Academy Story Garden, Helston, Cornwall
- Wyndham Park Infants School Library, Salisbury, Wiltshire
- Comberton Village College, Comberton, Cambridgeshire
- The Cedar Centre Library, Taunton, Devon
- Carterton Community College, Oxfordshire
The shortlist was selected by a panel of representatives from the School Library Association and Demco, who judged all the entries across a set of criteria: inviting/improved library image; space planning; educational objectives; technology and engagement; consultation.
The panel was impressed by the quality of the entries and admitted that it was a difficult task shortlisting those selected from the high level and quality of entrants.
Representatives of the panel are now visiting each school and the winner will be announced at the School Libraries Celebration day in London, sharing the stage with the 2013 School Librarian of the Year Award. The winning school will have the opportunity to select products for their library and there will be additional prizes for the runners up, all donated by Demco Interiors.
The Award is now in its third year and is supported by the School Library Association and sponsored by Demco Interiors, to highlight the innovation, commitment, flair and foresight found in school libraries across the UK and to set future standards for the recognition of excellence in school library design.